15 May Case Study – Security Scenario A large fast-food chain unveiled a new touch screen register
- Case Study – Security
A large fast-food chain unveiled a new touch screen register for its franchises. Each cashier was assigned a user ID and password combination to log in to the register. The system allowed the incorrect password to be entered four times before the register would lock and require a manager to unlock it with a key card. To prevent unauthorized access, the registers would lock after three minutes if the screen was not touched. When the register locked, only the cashier who was logged in prior to it locking could unlock it without a system restart.
After a few days in operation, restaurant managers started complaining about the amount of time they were spending unlocking the registers. Some cashiers were forgetting their user ID and password, so other cashiers would log in for them. It also seemed that the button layout made it easy for the cashiers to key in the incorrect password. The managers also complained that cashiers would leave for a break or end their shift and forget to log out of the locked register. The managers would have to reboot the system, a three- to five-minute process in order for the next cashier to log in. Additionally, managers noticed that grease was building up on the touch screens, making them less responsive.
Write a five- to eight-page paper in which you:
- Analyze the new system and determine the design issues with this new system.
- Describe how you would correct the design issues with the system to make the restaurant managers happy.
- Create a design plan that:
- Lists and explains the tasks associated with improving this interface.
- Contains at least six tasks.
- Includes realistic time estimates for each task to be completed.
- Analyzes the development of the system in your plan.
- Analyzes the testing of the system in your plan.
- Analyzes the implementation of the system in your plan.
- Examine how this system balanced security and usability, and explain the challenges of incorporating system security and system usability into a design.
- Suggest changes that could be made to the security of this system to still meet security objectives but make the system more usable.
- Use Microsoft Visio or an open source alternative, Dia, to create a graphical representation of your proposed interface. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include charts or diagrams created in Excel, Visio, MS Project, or one of their equivalents such as Open Project, Dia, and OpenOffice. The completed diagrams/charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Determine the strengths and alternatives of menu-driven interfaces.
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteEdu. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Do you need help with this question?
Get assignment help from WriteEdu.com Paper Writing Website and forget about your problems.
WriteEdu provides custom & cheap essay writing 100% original, plagiarism free essays, assignments & dissertations.
With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.