23 Jun Instructions Presentation #1: Identifying and Illustrating my Skills
Presentation #1: Identifying and Illustrating my Skills
There is a valuable lesson to be learned from those who have conducted successful job searches: it is extremely important to define who you are as you embark on your job search AND to be able to illustrate who you are through short stories from your professional and personal life that demonstrate the unique strengths you bring to a role.
Objective: Develop a 3-4 minute recorded presentation in which you (1) define who you are now, using Sidney Fine’s “Three Kinds of Skills,” (2) illustrate your “skills” with a story from your life as directed below and (3) set a goal as to how you will demonstrate/apply your skills in your current internship. You will use PowerPoint or a similar tool to create your presentation.
Recording Directions: record your completed presentation and upload it into the dropbox for Presentation #1 in D2L.
Your recording options are:
- Panopto: This option is housed in your D2L course shell and is a video-sharing platform supported by NLU. Detailed directions for recording and sharing with Panopto can be found HERE
- PowerPoint dictation: Using this option, you would record a voice-over of your PowerPoint slides and share them with your instructor. Directions for this option can be found HERE
- Zoom: you may use zoom to record your presentation, walking your audience through shared slides. You would use the record function in zoom and then save your completed recording and share it with your instructor in D2L. Directions for using zoom to record a presentation can be found HERE. This option does require that you sign up for a temporary free zoom account or that you have your own account.
Presentation Content Directions: In your presentation, make sure to:
1. Define your skills. (3 Slides-one for each skill type)
a. Using Sidney Fine’s Three Kinds of Skills (linked here), identify one Transferable/Functional skill (what you can do), one personal trait/attitude (how you conduct yourself), and one knowledge-based skill (what you know) that best define the strengths you bring to your internship at this moment. (You are encouraged to identify one of these skills from your Strengthsfinder survey.)
2. Determine how your passions, values, and interests connect to the skills you have identified. (1 slide)
- As you think about what you can do, how you behave, and what you know, it’s also important to think about what you care about and what you love. Reflect on the connection and share your learnings in this slide.
3. Illustrate with a story. (1 slide)
- Select an event from your recent past where you have demonstrated
your identified skills. You might revisit the SOAR format to tell your story, revisited here. You could also consider the storytelling suggestions offered by Katherine Hanson in your assigned readings, found here. (Your story must contain: what you wanted to accomplish, a hurdle or obstacles you encountered, a description of what you did, a description of the result that is measurable.) If you absolutely need to tell more than one story, you can. The goal here is to show your audience how you have demonstrated the skills you have identified.
4. Determine Next Steps. (1 slide)
- Now that you have identified three current skills, identify ways that you might demonstrate (or more effectively demonstrate) these skills in your current internship, job, or extracurricular activity.
Required Readings for Presentation:
- Skillscan (2012) “The Three Types of Skills Classification” https://www.skillscan.com/sites/default/files/Three%20Types%20of%20Skills%20Classification.pdf
- Hansan, K. “Use Stories to Prove Your Skills.” LiveCareer. https://www.livecareer.com/resources/resumes/basics/stories-prove-skills
- Rivera, R. (2015, February 15). “Have S.O.A.R or S.T.A.R Statements Prepared for Your Next Interview.” LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/have-soar-star-statements-prepared-your-next-rivera-l-i-o-n-/
Just to let you know that I am Computer Science student so present it accordingly
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteEdu. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Do you need help with this question?
Get assignment help from WriteEdu.com Paper Writing Website and forget about your problems.
WriteEdu provides custom & cheap essay writing 100% original, plagiarism free essays, assignments & dissertations.
With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.