27 Dec ***Note: cell type is bacterial
Cells and Microscopy Lab
The purpose of the lab is to familiarize you with different types of cells, the tools necessary to visualize the cells and the relative size of these cells.
Please refer to the chapter in your text on cells. You will need to know the different cell types, organelles, and functions of organelles.
In this lab, you will use a virtual microscope to visualize prokaryotic cells and eukaryotic cells. You will begin with a 7 minute video to introduce you to the microscope: Virtual Microscope video (https://www1.udel.edu/biology/ketcham/microscope/testFLV8.html)
Then, you will test your skills on the virtual scope: Virtual Microscope Lab (https://www1.udel.edu/biology/ketcham/microscope/scope.html)
Lastly, you will visualize cell size & scale while identifying cell components. Cell size and scale simulation (https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cells/scale/?utm_campaign=B2B%20Professor%20Free%20Resources%20Mapped%20to%20Curriculum%20Key%20Countries&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=55398557&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_ZzTkLpPKvxxGYbMcFS0k1WOP7BIndZy0JoAXWviC2WryqJt1V8SZwMIzLRmn2DArbFxTce7zVQVVdcxNInJRZj3Bzxw&_hsmi=55398557)
In this lab, you will do the following:
· Learn the proper usage of a compound light microscope
· Practice using a virtual microscope
· Visualize different cells and their relative sizes (millimeters to picometers)
· Answer questions pertaining to these activities and the concept of cells
You will complete the following questions as you progress through the lab components. Some questions will require a screen shot of the image after you have achieved locating it at the proper magnification. Please “google” your computer for specifics on performing a screen shot. Some computers use “FN” and “PrntScm,” while others use “Ctrl” and “PrtScr” then pasting into your document.
Answer each question in another color font (do not highlight your answers). Save your document as a .doc or .docx file and upload into ecampus for grading.
1. What are the four objective lens magnifications?
2. Take a screen shot of the “e” slide using 4x magnification with the horizontal bar of the e being in the center of the field of view. All items on the “At View Checklist” must be checked and included in the screen shot image.
3. Describe what the “e” looks like under this magnification.
4. Take a screen shot of the onion slide showing plant cell metaphase near the center of the field of view in good focus using 40x magnification. All items on the “At View Checklist” must be checked except scanning (4x) lens in place. (Refer to your textbook if you are unfamiliar with what metaphase for plant cells looks like).
5. Is the cell in question 4 a prokaryotic or eukaryotic cell? How do you know?
6. Take a screen shot of the cheek cell slide showing cells near the center of the field of view in good focus using 40x magnification. All items on the “At View Checklist” must be checked except scanning (4x) lens in place.
7. What is the dark blue spot in the center of the cell? What is its function?
8. Take a screen shot of the bacterial capsule slide showing the cells near the center of the field of view in good focus using 100x magnification. All items on the “At View Checklist” must be checked except scanning (4x) lens in place.
9. What is a bacterial capsule? What type of cell is a bacterial cell?
10. Complete the following chart using the cell size and scale website.
Function or Description
Prokaryotic, Eukaryotic, or N/A
Type of Cell or Cell Part***
Size and unit^
red blood cell
***Note: cell type is bacterial, fungal, protist, animal or plant. Part refers to the type of cell(s) you find the part located in.
^use “insert symbol” for microns (µ)
© 2017 Jennifer Siemantel
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteEdu. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Do you need help with this question?
Get assignment help from WriteEdu.com Paper Writing Website and forget about your problems.
WriteEdu provides custom & cheap essay writing 100% original, plagiarism free essays, assignments & dissertations.
With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.