27 Dec Your essay should be a mi
AMST 101/ Summer 2019
ESSAY ASSIGNMENT # 2: DECIPHERING THE ADVERTISING CODE: WORTH 100 POINTS
In this module, you have been learning about the system of American mass/popular culture and how “texts” convey meaning within that system. You have also learned about the use of the semiotic method to read the signs embedded in these texts to uncover that meaning.
In this essay, you will choose a print advertisement or commercial (the only parameter is that you need to be able to provide a hyperlink to your chosen advertisement at the top of your essay). You should choose an ad that you think is particularly shocking, humorous, beautiful, effective, offensive, or
interesting. Your assignment is to write an essay in which you use the semiotic method to describe the advertisement and explain how it appeals/what it means to its target audience.
In writing this essay you should especially consider the following questions. (Note: Your essay does not necessarily need to answer all these questions and should not be merely a point-by-point response to
1. Who is the target audience for this ad? How do you know? For this question, pay attention to where the ad appears. Is it in a women’s magazine, car magazine, etc? Also look at the ages of the models in the ad.
2. What is the historical context for this product, target audience, and/or advertising strategy?
3. What is the basis for the appeal of this ad? Keep in mind the various types of appeals that we discussed in class (rebellion, status, adventure/fun, patriotic, group, fear/guilt, humor, etc). Also, remember that ads may use several forms of appeal together.
4. What “signs” or elements do the ad designers use to create this appeal? Pay attention to body language, facial expressions, environment, props, colors, and copy (the writing in the ad).
5. How do these elements convey the appeal?
6. Is the appeal/ad effective? Why?
7. Why might the audience for the ad be particularly vulnerable to this appeal? For example, why might teenagers be drawn to ads that sell status or group belonging?
Your thesis should explain how all of these “signs” or elements in the ad convey meaning to the target audience by exploiting the myths, desires, and/or ideologies instilled in them by their larger cultural systems.
Your essay should be a minimum of 725 words, double-spaced, in a standard 12-point font. Remember to always cite direct quotations and paraphrasing via endnotes, footnotes, or parenthetical in-text citations—if you are unsure of how to properly cite a source, please refer to TITANium (under Resources) and review the available information.
Report this Question as Inappropriate
Tutorials for this Question
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteEdu. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Do you need help with this question?
Get assignment help from WriteEdu.com Paper Writing Website and forget about your problems.
WriteEdu provides custom & cheap essay writing 100% original, plagiarism free essays, assignments & dissertations.
With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.